Please follow the online order instructions so you can enter the promo code (315997) for your online orders!
To All San Diego Unified Families,
The San Diego Unified School District will close all schools effective Monday, March 16. With suspected community spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) in San Diego County, it has been determined that closing all schools is a prudent public health and safety measure we hope will help slow the spread of this virus. Classes will resume Monday, April 6, unless conditions call for an extended closure.
This decision was not made lightly, and it is understood that this order significantly impacts our families and stakeholders. We know our schools build and foster community for students, staff, families, and neighbors throughout San Diego. The district is working diligently to develop specific measures to ease the burden on San Diego Unified’s students, families and employees:
- San Diego Unified, in collaboration with community partners, is committed to ensuring a nutritious breakfast and lunch remain available to students who rely on school meals. We are developing a drive-thru/walk-up daily meal distribution service at designated schools to be posted on our coronavirus COVID-19 website. The health and well-being of our students is our top priority, and we want to do our part to keep students well fed.
- We are working with community organizations and districts across the state to provide learning opportunities to students during the closure. We will post information on our website with educational resources by content area and grade level.
- The district understands that many working parents will need child care, and we are working with community partners to offer safe and supervised settings for children to gather.
- Additional details about these programs will be communicated to families through School Messenger.
In addition to the above actions, public health experts continue to emphasize the critical importance of adjusting personal behavior. Wash hands frequently with warm water and soap for 20 seconds and regularly clean frequently touched surfaces (e.g., door knobs, phones). When soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. At home, try to avoid relying on older relatives or those with underlying health conditions to care for young children who may expose them to the virus.
District staff will remain available to answer questions, and any new information will be shared quickly on the district’s new informational website. Together, we can all help slow the spread of this pandemic to protect those among us who are most vulnerable to this virus.
School Closure (Monday 3/16/20 to Sunday 4/5/2020)
FYI – This info went home with the parent letter.
Dear Lion Families,
We want to thank you for your ongoing support during this challenging time.
We are constantly checking in with district, CDC (Centers of Disease Control), County Office of Education for current updates on best practices to keep our learning community safe.
Here is what we are doing as a school:
- Canceling ALL volunteers/guests coming on campus during school hours as a precaution starting FRIDAY March 13, 2020.
- All students in classrooms washing hands as needed (all rooms have sinks).
- Students wash hands before eating
- Postponing all large assemblies including SCIENCE ASSEMBLY for next week.
- Grade levels are working together to proactively plan for possible at home learning.
- All students and staff with respiratory concerns, fever, coughing, sneezing, runny nose, and/or sore throat are asked to stay home to prevent spreading any unnecessary germs.
- Students who typically have coughs from underlying, known documented diseases (like asthma, allergies) may remain if there is NO NEW symptoms.
- Principal communicates often through SCHOOL MESSENGER AND SCHOOLOGY
- Teachers and Custodial support to keep classroom surfaces clean (indoor cleaning is our priority).
Here is what you can do at home:
- Follow all CDC guidelines on traveling
- Spring Clean all high traffic areas
- Reinforce all handwashing at home
- Keep child home from school if any of the above symptoms are present, this is an excused absence if symptoms exist
- ENSURE that you have SCHOOLOGY AND WE HAVE YOUR UPDATED PHONE & EMAIL INFORMATION
- Ensure that you have “notifications” turned on
- If you have not installed SCHOOLOGY , please email your classroom teacher and they can get you set up
Thank you so much for your ongoing support!
The JONAS SALK TEAM
Reminder… orders due THIS Friday, 3/13. Be sure to return the completed order forms and make checks payable to Jonas Salk Elementary PTA or include an envelope with exact cash!
Thank you Lion families!
Hello Jonas Salk Families!
We are at work on the 19/20 yearbook and could use your help! Please send us any photos you have taken at events, assemblies, field trips, etc. this school year.
Please send your email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and include the event name in the subject line of the email.
If you could send one email per event it would be helpful for organization. Or if you have many pictures stored through a cloud storage service, please feel free to send us that link too!
Deadline submission is Friday, 3/20, so we can finalize our yearbook page edits!
Thanks so much Lion community!
Do you shop on Amazon? If so, why not link your purchases to our Jonas Salk PTA account would that a portion of your purchases support our awesome school!
You shop. Amazon gives.
Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the charitable organization of your choice.
AmazonSmile is the same Amazon you know. Same products, same prices, same service.
Support your charitable organization by starting your shopping at smile.amazon.com
Here is a link to our account:
Remember, only purchases at smile.amazon.com, (NOT http://www.amazon.com or the mobile app,) support charitable organizations.
Make it easier to return to smile.amazon.com by adding a shortcut to your phone’s home screen.
- Tap the share icon at the bottom of the browser (Safari for iPhone users)
- Tap Add to Home Screen, and then tap Add.
- Tap the new icon on your home screen to return at any time to smile.amazon.com.
- Log into Amazon and you’re all set!
Thanks so much for supporting your kids and our wonderful PTA.
Contact: Maria Pascua/Jog-a-thon Committee
We are looking for volunteers to help with our Book Fair from Thursday, February 27 through Friday, March 6. We would love to meet some new volunteers so if you have been thinking of volunteering, now is a great time!
Click on the button to sign up.
Thank you so much for your support!
Jonas Salk Elementary PTA
The annual Jonas Salk Elementary Jog-a-Thon, happening on Friday, April 17, 2020, is a school-wide fundraiser while promoting health and fitness for our students. This year we are seeking to raise funds to enrich our Arts and Physical Education programs. Fundraising through our annual Jog-A-Thon allows us to enhance our students’ learning through hands-on experiences. We are fortunate to live in such a diverse community, which would allow our students exposure to a well-rounded educational experience.
Would you consider making a monetary donation to our cause? By giving to our Jog-a-thon fundraiser, you become our partner in helping our students expand their knowledge in learning outside the classroom. In return, your name or company name and logo would be featured on our Jog-a-thon tshirts to highlight our gratitude for your generosity. Plus, advertising on our Jog-A-Thon T-shirts is a great way to invite the community to your business!
We hope we can count on your help to make this year’s event our best one yet!
The Jonas Salk Elementary PTA is a qualified 501(c) (3) charitable organization (Tax ID# 90- 1115208), and therefore any donation/prize contributions are tax deductible to the full extent the law allows.
Please submit the Sponsorship Form and donation by Monday, February 24th to the following address:
Jonas Salk Elementary PTA Jog-A-Thon Sponsorship 7825 Flanders Drive San Diego, CA 92126
Programs sponsored by the PTA would not be posssible without your generosity. Thank you for joining us in building a brighter future for our students.
Your Jonas Salk Elementary PTA
If I could be of any help, please do not hesitate to contact me.